Re: problem with conditionals and \ separator in SOURCES

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: problem with conditionals and \ separator in SOURCES
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:00:53 +0200

Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> Am I doing something wrong?
> >> Notice that this problem only takes place with cygwin
>
> Tim> Might be an EOL issue; sed is notorious for not recognizing a trailing \
> Tim> in a DOS text file (it sees \ + CR + NL).
> Tim> Try converting the file to Unix text.
>
> Tim> Note: this is just a hunch.
>
> Sounds like a good hunch to me.
>
> Automake 1.4 didn't try to deal with DOS-style line endings correctly.

You're right: line endings are to blame... the funny thing is that I got
the sources from a Linux CVS server, and the uncorrect line endings seem
to have been added during the dowloading... (actually I used WinCVS, so
this is quite likely).

> For that matter I don't know whether the cvs automake does.  It does
> set `binmode' on its output, but it might not handle \r\n in its input
> too well.
>
> Lorenzo, can you check this?

I didn't understand this last point: what should I check? What is cvs
automake?

thanks
        Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD student in Computer Science                    |
|  Florence - Italy         (Linux User # 158233)     |
|  Home Page        : http://w3.newnet.it/bettini     |
|           http://infostud.dsi.unifi.it/~bettini     |
|  Mail             : address@hidden            |
|  http://www.mokabyte.it       Java on line journal  |