Re: system independent Makefile.in ?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: system independent Makefile.in ?
Date: 26 May 2001 00:09:31 -0600

>>>>> "Attila" == Attila Csosz <address@hidden> writes:

Attila> I'm successfully generated system dependent dependency info in
Attila> the ".dep" directorys with the following commands:
Attila> 'automake;configure;make', after extracting the packages. How
Attila> could I get 'Makefile.in' files in the corresponding subdirs
Attila> holding system independent dependency information.

You can't.  Why do you want to do this?

In the to-be-1.5 series, the model is that dependencies are computed
as a side effect of the build.  The maintainer doesn't get involved
with them.

We tried to do something like what you suggest in the past.  It turns
out to be hard.  For one thing, the notion of "system independent
dependency information" is more vague than it might appear.

Tom