Re: CPP determined incorrectly

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: CPP determined incorrectly
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:32:16 +0200

Akim Demaille wrote:

> Harlan> This sounds familiar to me - I think I ran in to the same
> Harlan> problem under FreeBSD on a configure.in script that only
> Harlan> wanted to find the X directories (header and libs).  I had to
> Harlan> specify AC_PROG_CC to solve the problem.
IIRC, autoconf's X-checks somewhere apply imake, ie. require
/lib/cpp (cf. below).

> I've asked several times, but no one answered.
Hmm??

>         How about merging AC_PROG_CPP and AC_PROG_CC together?
>
>         What's the point of keeping the two of them?
* Some tools (eg. imake) apply cpp as macro-processor, even if cc is
not available on a particular installation. Other tools might want
to apply these tools even if not using *.c at all (Eg. using Imake
with non-c-languages).

* In rare occasions, only a functional cpp is required, but a broken
cc is tolerable (eg. to process *.S -> *.o)

* Some OS do not have a functional cc, but have a functional
/lib/cpp
(IIRC, Solaris-2.7 by default has the infamous /usr/ucb/cc script,
but has a functional /lib/cpp).

Though the first two items on the list above will probably rarely
met, the latter item might justify more general doubts on the logic
applied between AC_PROG_CPP and AC_PROG_CC.

=> AFAIS, they should be kept separate.