Regarding automake and autoconf

From: Sreedharan, Sreekant
Subject: Regarding automake and autoconf
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 18:11:48 -0400

    I have a problem that I thought someone might answer.

   I have a cross platform library, that where source is organized into
platform specific code and native code in seperate directories. The
following is the directory tree for a module called os for example:

   I want to compile the source files in 'portable' and 'unix' and then
create the shared file '' which has both 'portable' and 'unix' code.
   How do I do it? Automake does not allow source code to reside in a
different directory other than the one in which you have the
   My workaround is - I have 3, one in each directory. But if I
build a shared object in portable and unix as and, it won't work either. What I wanted to do ideally was to just

build in the  os directory.
   What is the workaround to build files from different directories to one
single shared object?
   Secondly, how would I ogranize source code in different directories and
the make files in totally seperate directories?

Sreekant Sreedharan
Technical Architect
SER Solutions (formerly Portal Connect)
555 Herndon Parkway