Re: Recursive make harmful

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: Recursive make harmful
Date: 21 Jun 2001 01:01:20 -0300

On Jun 20, 2001, Tom Tromey <address@hidden> wrote:

>>>>>> "Alexandre" == Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden> writes:
Richard> With separate's in each directory,
Richard> automake should be able to figure the bar/foo out from
Richard> the directory paths.  The user shouldn't have to worry
Richard> about what the path to the top-level is.

>>> Is this really possible? files may contains rules
>>> which need to be patched if you move them at another level.

Alexandre> If you're talking about the commands, I believe it's
Alexandre> relatively easy to cope with this problem: just generate,
Alexandre> in the top-level Makefile, a rule that runs the
Alexandre> corresponding rule in the sub-make.

> If that's the only approach then it might not be worth implementing.

I'm just talking about user-written rules.  For automake-generated
ones, we could do the full expansion.

On second thought, thought, it's probably not too hard to prefix all
user-written rules with cd subdirectory || exit 1, taking `@' and `-'
into account.  The most difficult part is probably to adjust
dependencies, in case they contain references to MAKE variables,
containing references to other MAKE variables, and so on.  Especially
if they contain @address@hidden

Alexandre Oliva   Enjoy Guarana', see
Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden,}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden,}