several automake questions

From: mcmahill
Subject: several automake questions
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:53:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I've recently converted a project over to automake and have several
questions.

1)  How can I specify a different directory or subdirectory for a program?
The application is a cgi program which might, for example, end up in
/usr/local/libexec/cgi-bin.  The standard things like bin_PROGRAMS or
libexec_PROGRAMS just don't get me to the right place.  I somehow need a
cgibin_PROGRAMS...

2)  In my top level Makefile.am I have:

SUBDIRS = include libwcalc gtk-wcalc cgi-wcalc @SCI_WCALC@ pixmaps
DIST_SUBDIRS = include libwcalc gtk-wcalc cgi-wcalc sci-wcalc pixmaps

because @SCI_WCALC@ is set either to "" or "sci-wcalc" depending on if you
do --with-scilab or --without-scilab during configuration.  Is this the
prefered way to make sure I get everything when I do a 'make dist'?

3)  I have some C files which get generated with a gawk script.  The gawk
program actually requires gawk (not awk/nawk/mawk).  I have a configure
test for the particular gawk feature.  Whats a good way to have these
generated files end up in the distribution tarball for those users who may
not have gawk installed?  Right now I do something like:

BUILT_SOURCES = \
        air_coil_html.c \

SUFFIXES = .html

%_html.c : %.html
        @AWK_GENSUB_YES@ $(HTML2C) $(srcdir)/$< > $(srcdir)/$@
        @AWK_GENSUB_NO@ echo "Your awk (${AWK}) does not have gensub()"
        @AWK_GENSUB_NO@ touch $(srcdir)/$@

should I list all the generated files also in EXTRA_DIST and add a
dependency like:

dist:: $(BUILT_SOURCES)

The same question applies to my pixmaps directory where I have some
figures in the native format for the drawing program (tgif) and don't want
to force users to have tgif to produce the xpm's.

Thanks for any advice.

-Dan