Newbie: packaging executables with libraries, how to build?

From: Chad McHenry
Subject: Newbie: packaging executables with libraries, how to build?
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:43:20 -0800 (PST)

My project consists of a library for distribution, and
a number of tools which also link to it.  My tree
looks like this:

(top-sourcedir)/src/bindings
(top-sourcedir)/src/execs
(top-sourcedir)/src/include
(top-sourcedir)/src/lib
I'm wondering what the best way to go about linking
the libraries to the executables is?  It seems like
both (exe and libs) should be built when 'make' is
issued, and both installed when 'make install' issued,
yet how to link the exe's to the libraries if they
aren't yet installed? Also, in the sense of easing
development, where would one put included headers to
avoid the same 'make install' prior to 'make'ing the
executables?

I looked around for examples, but didn't happen on
any. If anyone has seen this dealt with this in a way
that works well, or could point me to an example, I'd
appriciate it greatly!

...Chad