Re: Substitutions in _SOURCES

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Substitutions in _SOURCES
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:59:13 -0700

Timo K Suoranta wrote:

> I have been thinking about making yet another tool on top of automake
> which would generate Makefile.am files. It would make the path from
> project file to make even longer and more perverted, but at least it would
> maintain portability, and it would work.
>
> Such thing actually already exists: gpt_setup in the Globus toolkit,
> http://www-unix.globus.org/packaging/rfc.html. Looks interesting, but I
> haven't had yet time to look into it :/
>
> Hopefully the old make will be dead some day and we have something nice..

There's autogen :-).  It is completely agnostic about the underlying
tool.  Work out a way to describe a project and then create some fairly
straight forward templates to emit Makefile.am's -- using wild cards
and directory searches to your hearts' content.  Then, just cook up
a template for another project builder and emit that code.  Presto!
You're ported to a new engine.

--

Bruce Korb <first initial + last name at gnu dot org>
AG URL: http://autogen.sourceforge.net