Re: make install doesn't?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: make install doesn't?
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:29:30 -0700

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

>  Bruce> install : install-man3

>  Bruce> Should this override inhibit the "install: install-am" line?
>
> I think so.
>
>  Bruce> Why?
>
> You've supplied a rule for a target that is usually output by
> Automake, so Automake assumes....

Um, no, I did not supply a rule.  I supplied a *dependency*.
Rules are followed by shell scripts.  That is an important
distinction.  If there is documentation on another way to
accomplish this, I cannot find it in the 1.5d version of the docs.

> I think upgrading to Autoconf 2.53 and Automake 1.6.1 should
> only give you bugfixes.  (Without hassle since you're already
> close to these versions.)

Thank you.  It would probably be useful for the auto-tools
projects to at least agree on a single reference page for
a "best bets" information page.  Viz.:

1.  the three versions for certain reliability
2.  the three versions for probable reliability
3.  the versions we think are stable, but may yet bite.

Thanks, Alexandre...

 - Bruce

--

Bruce Korb <first initial + last name at gnu dot org>
AG URL: http://autogen.sourceforge.net