Re: make install doesn't?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: make install doesn't?
Date: 13 Apr 2002 13:20:38 -0600

>>>>> "adl" == Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> writes:

Bruce> Should this override inhibit the "install: install-am" line?

adl> You've supplied a rule for a target that is usually output by
adl> Automake, so Automake assumes that you know what you do and try
adl> not to override yours (the same holds for variable definitions).

Yes.  This is a very old decision I made for automake (prompted, as I
recall, and as so many things were, by François Pinard).  The idea is
that in some situations you want to override the generated code with
your own.  So we try to let you do this.  It is not something we
recommend; usually when one does it, it is to work around some
automake deficiency.

Tom