building/installing Python modules?

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: building/installing Python modules?
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:47:48 -0500

I'm trying to figure out how to compile and link a Python extension module.
In my generated aclocal.m4 file I saw this comment:

    # Adds support for distributing Python modules and packages.  To
    # install modules, copy them to $(pythondir), using the python_PYTHON
    # automake variable.  To install a package with the same name as the
    # automake package, install to $(pkgpythondir), or use the
    # pkgpython_PYTHON automake variable.

This, unfortunately, makes not a lick of sense to me.  I didn't see anything
in the automake info file about building Python extension modules.  Can
someone give me a simple automake recipe for building python/alfmodule.so
from python/alfmodule.c?

I found references to $(pythondir) and $(pkgpythondir) in the automake
manual, but not the other items.  I don't need/want $(pkgpythondir).  I'm
just installing a simple module, not a package.

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro (address@hidden - http://www.mojam.com/)