Re: Security vulnerability in automake

From: Allan Clark
Subject: Re: Security vulnerability in automake
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:06:03 -0700

Effort to reduce this kind of a security "hole" are quite fruitless, so long as
or anyone can build a ./configure that will simply "rm -fr /*"; nevertheless, I
do
support David's comment:

> 2. A non-root mindset should be encouraged.  Indeed, I'd support a case
>   for a default of "if root then abandon build", but with an override
>   capability for those (probably few) packages where root may be desirable
>   or even essential.

Reinforcing this kind of a change in behavior may or may not be within our
rights
or objectives.  It's a personal objective of mine, which I admit may be a
soapbox
upon which I stand alone.

Allan