building native tools in a cross-compile environment

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: building native tools in a cross-compile environment
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:36:41 -0400

I've been looking thru the docs and I I haven't found a way to do the
following.

I am using automake and autoconf.

I am assuming:

- "build" means the arch of the build machine
- "host" the arch of the place where built stuff gets run

autoconf detects build != host and sets up for a cross-compile.

This is a Good Thing, and CC=host_cpu-host_vendor-host_os-gcc when I am
cross-compiling.

However, I am coming across a case where the software package has some
tools that are designed to be used as part of the build process and
therefore need to use build-cc instead of host-cc.

So how do I tell automake that for some PROGRAMS it should use host-cc
instead of build-cc?