Re: header files

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: header files
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:07:00 +0200

>>> "Neal" == Neal H Walfield <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Neal> What I would like to happen is have make first run a "build-header"
 Neal> target in each subdirectory which causes the header files to be
 Neal> installed in $(top_builddir)/include (optimally via symbolic links).
 Neal> Then during the second pass (when everything is actually built),
 Neal> CPPFLAGS would be set to contain `-I$(top_builddir)/include'.  I
 Neal> currently only see one real problem with this proposed solution: I
 Neal> have no idea how to implement it using automake.  Ideas, suggestions,
 Neal> criticisms and work arounds are all welcome.  Please remember to cc me
 Neal> in replies as I am not subscribed to this list.

I don't know if it's possible.  Configuring the build tree really
seems the job of ./configure, not make.

One way to achieve the same effect is to use AC_CONFIG_LINKS in
configure.ac.  To preserve the abstraction of foo you could list
the AC_CONFIG_LINKS commands in foo/links.m4 and have
m4_include([foo/links.m4]) at the appropriate place in
configure.ac.

Or call a setup script with AC_CONFIG_COMMANDS.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz