Q: Change from 1.4 to 1.5 of `include' or `:=' interpretation??

From: David Petrou
Subject: Q: Change from 1.4 to 1.5 of `include' or `:=' interpretation??
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:21:39 -0400

Hi.  I have a project (collection of configure.in, Makefile.am's,
etc.) that automake 1.4 worked fine on.  But when I try automake 1.5 I
get all sorts of errors.  To me, it looks like the behavior of
`include' might have changed, but I don't see anything automake's NEWS
or Changelog files to suggest this.  And nothing in the documentation
jumps out at me.  I'm hoping my problem is obvious to someone out
there...

Here's the error:

> automake
src/Makefile.am:24: variable `LDFLAGS' recursively defined
src/Makefile.am:24: LDFLAGS was set with `:=' and is now set with `='
src/Makefile.am:24: LDFLAGS was already defined in condition PDL_AIX_FALSE
PDL_DEC_OSF_FALSE PDL_FREEBSD_TRUE PDL_LINUX_FALSE PDL_SOLARIS_FALSE, which is
implied by condition TRUE
  LDFLAGS (User, where = 24) =
  {
    PDL_AIX_FALSE PDL_DEC_OSF_FALSE PDL_FREEBSD_TRUE PDL_LINUX_FALSE
PDL_SOLARIS_FALSE => $(LDFLAGS) -pthread
  }
automake: configure.in: required file `./depcomp' not found
/usr/local/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL
automake: configure.in: required file `./ylwrap' not found
automake: src/Makefile.am: Assembler source seen but `ASFLAGS' not defined in
`configure.in'
tests/Makefile.am: CLEANFILES must be set with `=' before using `+='
tests/Makefile.am:24: LDFLAGS was set with `:=' and is now set with `='
tests/Makefile.am:24: LDFLAGS was already defined in condition PDL_AIX_FALSE
PDL_DEC_OSF_FALSE PDL_FREEBSD_TRUE PDL_LINUX_FALSE PDL_SOLARIS_FALSE, which is
implied by condition TRUE
  LDFLAGS (User, where = 24) =
  {
    PDL_AIX_FALSE PDL_DEC_OSF_FALSE PDL_FREEBSD_TRUE PDL_LINUX_FALSE
PDL_SOLARIS_FALSE => $(LDFLAGS) -pthread
  }
/usr/local/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL

The first line of src/Makefile.am is: include ../Makefile.inc

Here is Makefile.inc:

if PDL_SOLARIS
pdl_platform_sources = pdl_generic_addts.c pdl_solaris_net_reent.c
glib_libs = -lgthread -lglib
pthread_libs = -lc_r
else
if PDL_AIX
pdl_platform_sources = pdl_generic_addts.c pdl_generic_net_reent.c
glib_libs = -lgthread -lglib
pthread_libs = -lc_r
else
if PDL_LINUX
pdl_platform_sources = pdl_linux_basic.c pdl_generic_addts.c
pdl_linux_net_reent.c
glib_libs = -lgthread -lglib
pthread_libs = -lpthread
else
if PDL_DEC_OSF
pdl_platform_sources = pdl_dux_addts.s pdl_dux_net_reent.c
glib_libs = -lgthread -lglib
pthread_libs = -lc_r
else
if PDL_FREEBSD
pdl_platform_sources = pdl_freebsd_basic.c pdl_generic_addts.c
pdl_generic_net_reent.c
glib_libs = -lgthread12 -lglib12
LDFLAGS := $(LDFLAGS) -pthread
else
if PDL_IRIX
pdl_platform_sources = pdl_generic_addts.c pdl_generic_net_reent.c
glib_libs = -lgthread -lglib
pthread_libs = -lc_r
endif
endif
endif
endif
endif
endif

And in my configure.in, I have the following lines to set the PDL_
variables:

case $host_os in
SunOS)
  AC_DEFINE(PDL_SOLARIS, 1, operating system is Solaris.)
  my_host_os=PDL_SOLARIS
  ;;
AIX)
  AC_DEFINE(PDL_AIX, 1, operating system is AIX.)
  my_host_os=PDL_AIX
  ;;
linux-gnu)
  AC_DEFINE(PDL_LINUX, 1, operating system is Linux.)
  my_host_os=PDL_LINUX
  ;;
OSF1)
  AC_DEFINE(PDL_DEC_OSF, 1, operating system is OSF1.)
  my_host_os=PDL_DEC_OSF
  ;;
freebsdelf4.2 | freebsdelf4.3 | freebsd4.2 | freebsd4.3)
  AC_DEFINE(PDL_FREEBSD, 1, operating system is FreeBSD.)
  my_host_os=PDL_FREEBSD
  ;;
IRIX64)
  AC_DEFINE(PDL_IRIX, 1, operating system is IRIX64.)
  my_host_os=PDL_IRIX
  ;;
*)
  AC_MSG_ERROR(I don't understand your architecture.);;
esac

So, you can see that what I'm trying to do is use $host_os to set
PDL_*.  Then I use this information to later set various compile
options (LDFLAGS, etc.).  Maybe I've been doing this sort of thing
wrong the whole time and you can suggest the `right' way, but it _did_
work fine on 1.4.

thanks a lot in advance,
david

P.S.: If you read the automake errors carefully, you'll even see
errors not related, I think, to Makefile.inc.  But I'm happy solving
one error at a time.

P.P.S.: Please also reply to me at address@hidden since I'm not
subscribed to this list.