Re: proposal to fork the build-tools projects

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: proposal to fork the build-tools projects
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 18:40:08 +0200

Tom Lord wrote:
are already installed.  Call this set the "bootstrap packages".

Let's then formally identify a _subset_ of the bootstrap packages,
which are those GNU tools that other (non-bootstrap) GNU packages are
allowed to depend on for the build process.  For example, GNU Make
would probably be in this subset, as would a GNU shell.  Call this set
the "build environment packages".

insert your favourite scripting language. The current automake does
contain perl code to scan makefile syntax. Just expand it - so it
does not generate code to be executed later but to have it executed
immediately. That's enough to identify bootstrap code: perl.

As for gnu make - I know some build managment tools that export a
their own version of `make`. So, do not rely on gnu make. And anyway,
if you have gnu make then you don't need automake in most cases.

I guess this discussion is void - it is not about "forking". It is
about creating your own set of buildtools and to try to reach a
level of matureness that we see in the autotools today. There are
other attempts, may be you want to join them in their quest?