Re: CXXFLAGS and linking

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: CXXFLAGS and linking
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:59:25 -0500

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 03:47, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

>  William> I see that CXXFLAGS and AM_CXXFLAGS gets passed to the linker
>  William> ($CXXLINK).
>
> CXXLINK calls the compiler, so we ought to pass these flags as they
> may affect the way the compiler calls the linker in the end.
> For instance the compiler might pass on additional objects to
> link based on the presence of flags like `-g', `-pg' or
> `-pthread'.

GNU make doesn't agree. Its default linking action invokes cc, but does
not pass CFLAGS.

I'd suggest that the flags you mention are linker flags for the reason
that they should be passed to the program invoked to handle the linking
step. Whether that program delegates responsibility to another program
doesn't matter from the perspective of the makefile.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <address@hidden>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <address@hidden>