Re: make -j and touching configure.in, with automake

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: make -j and touching configure.in, with automake
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 23:11:45 +0200

>>> Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 >> > I don't exactly how the dependencies are output but Automake, but the
 >> > "logical" order is indeed running autoconf first.  As a matter of
 >> > fact, because there is a cache sharing the results of the runs, it
 >> > shouldn't matter.  But running Autoconf and Automake concurrently
 >> > doesn't make a lot of sense, indeed, except if the cache is up to date.

Hi Akim,

I think autom4te should lock it's cache when it runs, to cope
with current runs of overlying tools.

>From a (Makefile-)dependency point of view, autoconf and
automake can be run concurrently.  It would be easy to force
autoconf to run before automake (is this wanted?), but that
would just fix one instance of a more generic problem.  The
issue, from what I can say, is that autom4te is used by several
tools but isn't re-entrant.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz