Spurious rebuilds

From: craig . howard
Subject: Spurious rebuilds
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 22:58:18 -0700

I'm having trouble with spurious rebuilds caused by autoconf/automake
projects.  This problem is _not_ happening with handmade makefiles.  What's
happening is that everytime I execute make, the entire project is rebuilt,
regardless of whether or not each file needs to be.

I was able to duplicate the problem with a skeleton project of the
following

configure.in
AC_INIT(src/tester.h)
AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(tester,2.0pre1)
AC_PROG_CXX
AC_PROG_INSTALL
AC_PROG_RANLIB
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile \
                src/Makefile \
                )

Makefile.am
SUBDIRS = src

src/Makefile.am
bin_PROGRAMS = tester
tester_SOURCES = tester.cc
CXXFLAGS = -g -ansi -pedantic -Wall -pipe

src/tester.cc

#include <iostream>

int main() {
        std::cout << "Hello world" << std::endl;
}

Is there something simple that I've misconfigured?  I doubt it's a problem
with the configure.in or Makefile.am files, as I have the same issue with
KDE CVS.

I'm using
automake 1.4-p5
autoconf 2.13
make 3.80

Thanks and please cc me, as I'm not on the list.
--

Craig Howard
3B Computer Science -- University of Waterloo