Re: How add a directory to source tree that used Autoconf but NOT Automa

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: How add a directory to source tree that used Autoconf but NOT Automake?!..
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 13:40:10 -0400

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 01:05:12PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> [trying to integrate a third-party non-Automake package
> (libpcap) into his Automake-based source tree]
>
> I can create a tarball doing "make tar" with their Makefile.
> I cannot do "make dist" because their home grown set up does NOT
> have the "dist" target.
> How add this package to my source tree!?!?

Good question.  The easiest way would probably be to add a rule
to the libpcap Makefile:
        dist:
                dist-cmds

where "dist-cmds" stands for whatever you want "make dist" to do
within the libpcap subdirectory.  If the top-level "make dist"
does all the work, "dist-cmds" might be empty, leaving you with:
        dist:
whose only purpose is to keep "make" happy.

The only other thing I can think of would be to put a wrapper
around the libpcap subdirectory:
        your-package-root/
                libpcap-wrapper/
                        libpcap/
                                (libpcap distribution)
                        Makefile

libpcap-wrapper can be almost empty.  The main thing (and
probably the *only* thing) it needs is a Makefile something like
this:
        all install clean distclean [many other targets]:
                cd libpcap; ${MAKE} $@

        dist:
                cd libpcap; dist-cmds

(You might have to break a few other targets out into individual
rules.  E.g. "make all" might have to copy libraries and headers
out of libpcap-wrapper/libpcap to wherever your own package's
build will look for them.)

I don't know whether it'd make more sense to write that little
Makefile by hand or use Automake to generate it.

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
My Wine works.  However it crashes about half the time on startup.
Apparently their simulation of windoze API is getting too accurate.  :)
        - Kyle Sallee