Re: Problem with libtool

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: Problem with libtool
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:45:02 +0200

Marcus Bjurman schrieb:
Hi,

My project (http://www.nongnu.org/gcmd/) consists of two parts. One shared
library and one ordinary executable linked agains the library. The library gets
built alright but when building the executable libtool doesn't respect the
$prefix that was choosen at configure-time. What I mean is that the rpath that
libtool uses at link-time always gets set to /usr/local/lib regardless of the
$prefix. This obviously causes a problem after the install since the executable
is linked against a library in /usr/local/lib that doesn't exist.

I checked the libtool script av saw that the variable used for rpath is libdir.
Checking further I saw that all makefiles have libdir setup correctly to
$(prefix)/lib.

So my question basicly is: where does libtool get the libdir variable from? And
then what is the correct way of getting the correct value there?

BTW: I have checked other packages such as xmms that has the same basic layout
with a library and an executable. They all work so its not a problem with the
installation, its rather a problem with me not being able to figure out why
they work and not my project ;)

Please CC replies to me

/Marcus

I did just see a similar problem, but it was related with re'configure'ing
of the project sources with a different --prefix. It seems that the
libtool .la file is not updated with the new prefix, I had to `make clean`
before it got it right. Perhaps there's a similar thing about your stuff
here that the linker script (.la) has an old prefix from an earlier build?

have fun,
-- guido                                  http://google.de/search?q=guidod
GCS/E/S/P C++/++++$ ULHS L++w- N++@ d(+-) s+a- r+@>+++ y++ 5++X- (geekcode)