Re: delete aclocal.m4? keep generated files on cvs server? enforce spece

From: Raja R Harinath
Subject: Re: delete aclocal.m4? keep generated files on cvs server? enforce specefic automake/conf version?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:27:37 -0500

Hi,

Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 05:55:15PM -0500, Raja R Harinath wrote:
>> Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> writes:

[snip autoreconf/autopoint/AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external]) dicussion]

>> > All that does is stop including a complete copy of libintl in your
>> > source tree. autopoint still wants to add a few dozen files. The best
>> > solution is to not run autopoint at all, since it doesn't do anything
>> > useful if you don't want to include a copy of gettext in your
>> > distributed tarballs.
>>
>> But, you asked for with AM_GNU_GETTEXT.
>>
>> AFAIR, the files are all limited to the po/ directory, and they're all
>> used either by AM_GNU_GETTEXT or po/Makefile.in.in.
>
> No, there are about half a dozen files in po/ which aren't needed, and
> then there's all the m4 macros.

Sorry to keep harping on this.  I'm trying to figure out if we should

Having m4 macros in the source tree is better IMHO.  You have better
control over the sources that you're building.  Also, there's a
matched set of m4/{gettext,po,...}.m4 and po/Makefile.in.in -- which
is good.  Also, with 'aclocal' 1.8, this is pretty cheap, since the
they'll just put

  m4_include([m4/gettext.m4])
  m4_include([m4/po.m4])
  etc.

into aclocal.m4.  There's no need for m4/Makefile.am, since they're
automatically distributed, and all that jazz.  The whole thing is now
very lightweight.

I do agree that using

  AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external])

shouldn't pull in m4 macros that are used only for building in an
intl/ subtree.  That'd need further changes to introduce something like

  AM_EXTERNAL_GNU_GETTEXT

that we could use instead.

As to the files in po/.  Apart from po/Makefile.in.in, I see the
following:

  Rules-quot
  boldquot.sed
  address@hidden
  address@hidden
  insert-header.sin
  quot.sed
  remove-potcdate.sin

All the script fragments are used by Rules-quot.  That file isn't
directly referred to by Makefile.in.in.  However, Rules-quot is
appended to the generated po/Makefile by m4/po.m4.

          for f in "$ac_given_srcdir/$ac_dir"/Rules-*; do
            if test -f "$f"; then
              case "$f" in
                *.orig | *.bak | *~) ;;
                *) cat "$f" >> "$ac_dir/Makefile" ;;
              esac
            fi
          done

As to the utility of this whole set of files: I can't judge.  If I'm
not mistaken, they seem to be for the use of the translation team to
automatically generate simple variants of the messages that are more
suitable to an 'en_US' locale than those of the 'C' locale -- assuming
you use ISO8859-1 rather than 7-bit ASCII.

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ address@hidden