Re: GNU ftp crack and config.{sub,guess}

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: GNU ftp crack and config.{sub,guess}
Date: 05 Sep 2003 08:46:55 -0400

%% Russell Shaw <address@hidden> writes:

  rs> Paul D. Smith wrote:
  >> I'm still waiting for _ANY_ kind of response here.
  >> Doesn't anyone know or care about config.guess or config.sub anymore?

  rs>  From automake manual:

  rs> config.guess
  rs> config.sub

  rs> These programs compute the canonical triplets for the given build,
  rs> host, or target architecture. These programs are updated regularly
  rs> to support new architectures and fix probes broken by changes in
  rs> new kernel versions. You are encouraged to fetch the latest
  rs> versions of these files from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/config before
  rs> making a release.

Yep, but if you read the rest of my message you'll see that the files on
ftp.gnu.org are not actually there: they were removed when the system
was cracked and they have not been replaced yet.  So, I'm looking for a
new place to get the latest versions from.

  rs> locate config.guess
  rs>    /usr/share/doc/config.guess

When I release a GNU program I don't want to use whatever random
versions I happen to have lying around on my system.  I want the latest
stuff.