Re: how to change the behaviour of "make check"?

From: Ireneusz SZCZESNIAK
Subject: Re: how to change the behaviour of "make check"?
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:07:17 -0600 (MDT)

Hi,

Thanks for your long e-mail.  I appreciate it!

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

> there is a documented Makefile.am var TESTS_ENVIRONMENT which you
> can use to not only set various env var variables, but specify a
> completely different interpreter aside from the bourne shell, to run
> the tests.

I thought of a similar idea: making my test scripts always return the
success status, and notifying of the failure in some other way.  The
key notion of your solution and mine is the same: always report the
exit status 0.  Your idea is implemented with the TESTS_ENVIRONMENT
variable, while mine with changing the behavior of test scripts.  My
test scripts are generated automatically, so I only have to change the
generating script, and not every test script.

> (the nicely formatted messages will be wrong (since you are faking
> success some of the time), but presumably you are smarter than to
> believe w/o scrutiny anything you read on computer screen, like this
> message.... ;-)

Yeah!  But still I want the output of "make check" to be clean.  When
a test fails, then I expect to see: "FAIL: test.sh".

Thanks & best,
Irek