Re: Non-recursive make & intermediate objects

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Non-recursive make & intermediate objects
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:25:05 +0000

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:50:23 -0600 (CST), "Bob Friesenhahn"
<address@hidden> said:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > subdir_objects in your automake options.
> >
> > Problem is, there is a design headache that makes recursive clean fail
> > with this approach - I forget the bug #, but it's on my todo, waay down
> > there :p.
>
> Ahhh, subdir-objects.  Since this is so important to non-recursive
> makes, it would be useful if it was referenced in the "An Alternative
> Approach to Subdirectories" section of the documentation.
>
> Please move the clean bug up in the priority level.  Automake has a
> non-recursive user now. :-)
>
> I suspect/believe that libtool will have some problems as well.

Libtool has only one Makefile.am per configure.ac already, but I did trip
over a few problems when I tried to convert M4 to a non-recursive
Makefile.  I'd like to convert it now, but there are some issues that I
reported (maybe this is one actually).

Cheers,
        Gary.
--