Re: AM_CPPFLAGS vs INCLUDES

From: Kevin P. Fleming
Subject: Re: AM_CPPFLAGS vs INCLUDES
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:17:15 -0700

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

My point was not entirely that the documentation was wrong.  It is an
extremely useful capability to be able to define a common base set of
CPPFLAGS and then use per-target CPPFLAGS to extend these (equivalent
to +=).  Otherwise the Makefile.am has to be very messy and large,
since as soon as you add one per-target CPPFLAGS, you then need to
start passing all CPPFLAGS via individual per-target CPPFLAGS

Are you sure about that last part Bob? I have Makefiles that do:

AM_CPPFLAGS = -I../foo -DBAR

src_foo_CPPFLAGS = -DBAZ $(AM_CPPFLAGS)

and this works just fine. I can then ensure that my common CPPFLAGS are incorporated for a target that also needs special flags.