Re: SUBDIRs and slashes

From: Joerg Faschingbauer
Subject: Re: SUBDIRs and slashes
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 09:47:31 +0100 (CET)

>>>>> "adl" == Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> writes:

>>>> "Marty" == Marty Leisner <address@hidden> writes:
adl> [...]

Marty> common/Makefile.am:1: directory should not contain `/'

Marty> Just wondering for some thoughts on this matter...is
Marty> there any reason to insist on single level source
Marty> directories in recursive make...

adl> I can't think of any.

About two years ago I asked the same question. Lars J. Aas replied
that "make dist" does not support this. The documentation (release
1.7.9) still says that SUBDIRS can only contain direct descendants of
the current directory (section "Recursing subdirectories").

I maintain a build tool (1) that determines the build order of
subdirectories automatically, in arbitary depths. The SUBDIRS variable
in the generated toplevel Makefile.am is full of slashes then, but I
never noticed any automake failure. Only the warning, which is why the
Confix documentation recommends using a flat hierarchy.

Any opinions?

Joerg

(1) Shameless plug: http://confix.sourceforge.net