Re: Library dependencies & make install

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Library dependencies & make install
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:48:28 +0100

>>> "Bob" == Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
 Bob> libraries are installed in the same order as specified by
 Bob> lib_LTLIBRARIES.  If the ordering of lib_LTLIBRARIES does
 Bob> not jive with the library dependency order, then libtool
 Bob> fails to re-link the library because some libraries it
 Bob> depends are not installed yet.  Even worse, it may appear
 Bob> that installation is successful, but some of the libraries
 Bob> are accidentally linked with older versions of the
 Bob> libraries which were already installed.

 Bob> It seems to me that Automake should compute an optimum library
 Bob> installation order based on the specified libtool library (.la)
 Bob> dependencies.  This would help ensure that installation errors do not
 Bob> occur due to some hap-hazard lib_LTLIBRARIES list order (e.g. they
 Bob> could be in alphabetical order).

It's not clear to me how circular dependencies would be handled.
Also, I don't know how this order can be computed when all these
libraries are built into many directories.

Another idea is to split the installation procedure in two
steps: copy all libraries, and once it is done relink all
libraries.  Would that work?  If so, we need a way to tell
libtool to copy libraries without relinking.

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz