Re: html texinfo install?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: html texinfo install?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:19:05 -0800

Karl Berry wrote:

>     1.  Please shorten to "html" (as is done for "ps")
>
> I'm not sure.  By Bob's argument, `html' could be useful to stand for
> any sort of HTML generation, if there is non-Texinfo documentation involved.

Yeah!  That's the idea!  Type in, ``make html'' and any html-making
gets triggered, whether it is texinfo based or not.  :-)

>     2.  Please make available enable/disable macros for each output type:
>         info, html, xml, ps, ...
>
> I agree we could support all the formats (currently: info html xml
> docbook ps pdf plaintext) uniformly,

Good.

> although I don't think I want to
> propose all those variables and targets for the coding standards.

No, that wouldn't be a good idea.  A file named, "texinfo.m4" (or
whatever) can be made available in some fashion (perhaps by running
the texinfo automake macros) and all the related make targets and
enablement configure options are just there.  Anything chisled into
the standards would, perforce, be there, but so would other stuff
that goes "above and beyond".

> I guess they would all need Automake options.  There'd be no other
> practical way to enable html (say) by default, I think.

The ``make dist'' rules can certainly query the current configuration
for whether or not HTML has been enabled.  It is the bootstrapping
scripts (that some call, "autogen.sh" -- but I do not ;-) that would
need explicit instructions about which way the defaults should go.
That doesn't seem like a very difficult problem.

> Thanks.

Thank you.  :-)  Cheers - Bruce