Re: Target-specific CFLAGS

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Target-specific CFLAGS
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:24:30 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:

> >> You know that CPPFLAGS is for the C preprocessor and CXXFLAGS is
> >> for the C++ compiler, right?
> >
> > This distinction is not entirely correct since CPPFLAGS is normally
> > supplied to the C++ compiler as well.  CFLAGS is for the C compiler
> > and CXXFLAGS is for the C++ compiler.
>
> Well, yes: C++ uses the C preprocessor.

Which is not really a great assumption since C++ is a different
language and the C++ compiler vendor may not be the same as the C
compiler vendor.  The behavior of the C++ preprocessing may behave
differently.  Autoconf and Automake make a lot of assumptions when it
comes to C++.  Luckily the assumptions are correct more often than
not.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden