autotools novice: porting existing code to autotools

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: autotools novice: porting existing code to autotools
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 06:19:20 +0100 (CET)

Hello,
I just moved to the autotools and I'm facing a problem
I cannot deal with; I've searched the autoconf and
automake manuals but in vain.

I've got some existing code to port to the autotools
system.
The code should be divided into three packages and a
fourth should consist of the sum of the other three.
Directory tree:

/client-sdl       - should be separate package    -
/metaserver       - should be separate package    -
/server           - should be separate package    -
/shared           - SHARED CODE (.c and .h files) -

Now, the global package making all is easy to build,
the problem arises with /shared, which is a directory
containing source code referenced by all other
directories.

I would like to build my-app-client-sdl-x.xx.tar.gz,
my-app-metaserver-x.xx.tar.gz,
my-app-server-x.xx.tar.gz, and even my-app-x.xx.tar.gz
containing all others.

my-app-client-sdl-x.xx.tar.gz should contain for ex:

my-app-x.xx/my-app-client-sdl-x.xx/THE_CODE
my-app-x.xx/shared/COMMONSTUFF

and again my-app-server-x.xx.tar.gz should contain:

my-app-x.xx/my-app-server-x.xx/THE_SERVER_CODE
my-app-x.xx/shared/COMMONSTUFF

Is it possible to reach something similar? If not, how
can I change things in order to make proper
distributions?

This mail is already long enough so I'll avoid pasting
the existing (configure.ac and Makefile.am)s but can
provide them if it's useful.

I would be very grateful if someone were to give me
any hints; thanks again for your time!

Claudio Fontana

Yahoo! Mail: 6MB di spazio gratuito, 30MB per i tuoi allegati, l'antivirus, il
filtro Anti-spam
http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/?http://it.mail.yahoo.com/