aclocal and libtool don't get along

From: Vance Shipley
Subject: aclocal and libtool don't get along
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:25:12 -0400

Folks,

It seems that the presence of AC_PROG_LIBTOOL in configure.ac
blows aclocal out of the water.  My previously working files
now fail with current versions of the GNU Autotools.  The
following simple test displays the problem.

In an otherwise empty directory I create a configure.ac with:

        AC_INIT(foo)
        AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

Now I run aclocal:

$ aclocal
configure.ac:2: /usr/local/bin/m4: ERROR: Reading inserted file: No such file
or directory
autom4te: /usr/local/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1

The versions of tools I am using are:

        autoconf-2.59.tar.gz
        automake-1.8.5.tar.gz
        libtool-1.5.6.tar.gz
        m4-1.4.1.tar.gz

Am I doing something wrong or is this just broken right now?

        -Vance