Re: Shipping generated file from generated generator

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Shipping generated file from generated generator
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:20:49 +0200

Hello,

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 05:53:44PM +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:
>  >Akim wrote:
>  >> Also, I see no provision to generate these files in srcdir.  Are you
>  >> really sure you ship and use them?
>
>  > I guess ``make dist'' was always called in the main tree, so this
>  > was not a problem.
>
> Nope, it was: distcheck always does a src != build configuration.
> Unless distcheck was never used (booh :).

Yes, you were right, in texinfo-4.7 the files rebuilt, though they were
distributed.

``make distcheck'' wasn't able to catch the problem, since all generated
files were listed in BUILT_SOURCES, and thus removed by distclean.

The example I posted wouldn't probably pass the distcheck.
(Current CVS version is happy again, as it doesn't distribute these files.)

>  > $(generated_sources): $(makedoc_SOURCES) $(cmd_sources)
>  >    make $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) makedoc$(EXEEXT)
>
> $(MAKE)

Sure, this was a silly mistake.  But anyway, you can see that I was heading
towards the solution contained in the automake manual (as Alexandre has
pointed out).

A fixed version of your interm.test is attached.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan