automake during development

From: Jonathan
Subject: automake during development
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:39:31 -0500

Hi, I'm having trouble finding an answer to this question:

My team is trying to use automake for a C++ project we are developing.
 The project design has been changing rapidly and we are finding that
keeping the list of source files in Makefile.am up to sync with the
contents of the directory is very inconvenient.

An ideal solution would generate an object file for each .cpp file in
the directory but I cannot seem to find information on doing this with
automake.  Information I do find seems to point to wildcard solutions
not being portable.

Does a portable solution for this exist or must the Makefile.am file
be updated every time a file is added or removed from the project?

Thanks,
--
-Jonathan