Re: automake during development

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: automake during development
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:14:05 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Jonathan wrote:

Hi, I'm having trouble finding an answer to this question:

My team is trying to use automake for a C++ project we are developing.
The project design has been changing rapidly and we are finding that
keeping the list of source files in up to sync with the
contents of the directory is very inconvenient.

An ideal solution would generate an object file for each .cpp file in
the directory but I cannot seem to find information on doing this with
automake.  Information I do find seems to point to wildcard solutions
not being portable.

Wildcard solutions could be portable as long as the wildcard was performed by the 'automake' program. However, it does not support that (as far as I know). Automake developers feel that package developers should be more careful/responsible than to build and distribute whatever files happen to be available.

What you can do is create a utility which is a generator. It would perform substitutions to create the which is used by Automake.

So then you have (assuming your template file uses extension ".amt")

                  utility --> --> --> Makefile
   source files

Bob Friesenhahn