Re: Disabling optimization

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Disabling optimization
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:56:14 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Andrew Suffield wrote:

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 03:44:46PM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Andrew Suffield wrote:
What you're all trying to say is this:

Nope, this prevents overriding CXXFLAGS from the environment.

It does not. I do it all the time.

How does the user portably remove/override the -g and -O0 options?  It
seems that you are depending on the user's compiler to support a way
to subtract from existing options.  You are also expecting that the
user's compiler supports -O0 and doesn't simply exit.

You appear to be expecting the user's compiler to compile C++. That's
a pretty poor expectation from the outset (it might be g++ 2.95 or

CXXFLAGS is only used to compile C++ so I don't think I was stretching my imagination too far.

Bob Friesenhahn