Re: configure-generated *.in's

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: Re: configure-generated *.in's
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:23:57 +0000

Stepan Kasal <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 03:09:21PM -0800, J.T. Conklin wrote:
>> While AC_CONFIG_PKGCONFIG_IN() is very appealing, writing a script
>> that takes similar arguments and generates a * file that can
> if understand your situation correctly, you can still use
> AC_CONFIG_PKGCONFIG_IN to get the * at configure time.

> You just cannot use AC_CONFIG_FILES to instantiate it.

That used to work.  It still does, if you create a dummy .in file to
fool automake, IIRC.

However, as the author of AC_CONFIG_PKGCONFIG_IN(), I'd just like to
say that I stopped using it in favour of static files a few
years ago, in order to preserve my sanity ;-)   It's far easier to
substitute simple cflags, libs, version and requires stuff directly,
and is rather more flexible and understandable.  I don't think it
gains you much other than added complexity and an ego-expanding
monster-sized configure script (which is probably why I originally
wrote it :)

The main reason I wrote it was a drop in replacement for
AC_CONFIG_LIBCONFIG_IN when I was transitioning Gimp-Print from
gimpprint-config to pkg-config.  It made sense there, but I'm not sure
it's generally useful today.  The variables it uses are rather
complex: it's geared to shared and static sets of flags and
package-internal and -external flags, something that pkg-config can't
do (and probably shouldn't, though support for static linking would be

- --
Roger Leigh
                Printing on GNU/Linux?
                Debian GNU/Linux
Version: GnuPG v1.2.5 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.8 <>