Re: Automake and makedepend

From: Stan Guillory
Subject: Re: Automake and makedepend
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 08:35:29 -0500

That did the trick. Thanks, Ralf.

Stan

>>> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> 5/14/2005 6:53:00 AM >>>
Hi Stan,

Please try to answer below the text you refer to, thanks.

* Stan Guillory wrote on Fri, May 13, 2005 at 06:14:38PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> 5/13/2005 10:41:11 AM >>>
> > * Stan Guillory wrote on Thu, May 12, 2005 at 07:56:17PM CEST:
> > >
> > > 1) Should the dependency tracking mechanism in automake work by
> > > default with Sun Forte C++ 5.4?
> >
> > I only have access to a different compiler version.  What does
yours
> > do after this series of commands (in a junk directory):
*snip*
> > ?  Over here, the second one triggers the error
> > | CC: Suffix mismatch between -o and produced file (should produce
.i)

> > which prevents the dashXmstdout depmode to work.

Never mind.  See below.

> > However, on this system
> >   depmode=makedepend source=a/a.cc object=d/a.o libtool=no \
> >   sh -x path/to/depcomp CC -Ib -I. -c a/a.cc -o d/a.o
> >
> > works.  So, the question is whether `depcomp' needs to cut out any
of
> > your $CPPFLAGS or $CXXFLAGS which could make makedepend barf.
>
> On the first invocation, I get the following:
*snip*
> etc, i.e. a list of what I think I need. The errno was 0 after
> executing that sequence of commands.
>
> I got the same error you did when I executed the second CC
invocation.
> What version of the compiler are you using, btw?

5.3, I think.

Call me stupid, I just forgot how the dependency mechanism was chosen
again:  Basically, there are two classes of mechanisms: ones that are
fast (don't require separate invocation of either compiler or other
tool), and all others, considered slow.  You have to add
  --enable-dependency-tracking
to your configure options in order to enable the slow ones.
All nicely documented, too (see configure --help).

Now my tests show that dashXmstdout is selected, and that should work
with your compiler as well.  Could you confirm that, please?

Regards,