Re: I: adjust test suite for upcoming GNU Make 3.83

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: I: adjust test suite for upcoming GNU Make 3.83
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:39:05 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:24:55AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> [...] For example the version of SysV make that comes
> with Solaris (and probably other UNIX systems) works identically to the
> new behavior of GNU make: the prerequisites list is evaluated twice, so
> any $ that appears on the prerequisites list must be double-quoted
> ($$$$).
>
>   sk> Alternatively, Automake could simply state that $'s in filename are
>   sk> not portable.
>
> In fact, that is true already, and has always been true :-/.

thank you for teaching me.

> All things being equal I prefer not to allow whole features like this to
> be enabled/disabled as it makes testing, etc. more difficult.  However,
> I'll consider doing it if there's a plausible argument to be made that
> the old behavior was inherently more portable than the current behavior.

Anyway, with the new behaviour, the $-in-filenames is broken for current
Automake.

If future versions of Automake wanted to restore that support, and if the
feature cannot be switched off, Makefile.in would have to contain the
two alternatives I mentioned in my previous mail.  This would not only
require some work from Automake developpers, it also makes Makefile.in
slightly less readable.

And yes, there are many people who peek into Makefile.in when they want
to understand what's going on, or when they are debugging a bug in their
autotools scripts.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan Kasal