Re: changing file names in Makefile.am

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: changing file names in Makefile.am
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:02:38 +0200

Hi Samuel,

* Adams Samuel D Contr AFRL/HEDR wrote on Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 09:17:45PM CEST:
> I started this new project, and I realized that I needed to work with
> complex numbers after I started.  As you may know, C does not have a complex
> number library, but C++ does.  So, I changed the calculation parts into C++.
> After I renamed the files, I was getting the following error that you see
> below.  I modified the Makefile.am in the src/ directory, and also added
> "AC_PROG_CXX" to my configure.ac file.  Anyway, let me know if you have any
> ideas.

Looks like a weird "something did not get updated" error to me.

> ddress@hidden ~/c/raw2id $ ./reconf
> /usr/share/aclocal/libglade.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of
> AM_PATH_LIBGLADE
>   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
>   or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
> /usr/share/aclocal/glib.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of
> AM_PATH_GLIB
> /usr/share/aclocal/gdk-pixbuf.m4:12: warning: underquoted definition of
> AM_PATH_GDK_PIXBUF
> /usr/share/aclocal/ao.m4:9: warning: underquoted definition of XIPH_PATH_AO

Please post the contents of `./reconf', plus autotools versions used.

> ddress@hidden ~/c/raw2id $ make
*snip*
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sam/c/raw2id/src'
>  cd .. && /bin/sh ./config.status src/Makefile depfiles
> config.status: creating src/Makefile
> config.status: executing depfiles commands
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sam/c/raw2id/src'
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sam/c/raw2id/src'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `calc.c++', needed by `calc.o'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sam/c/raw2id/src'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Maybe the output of
  fgrep calc.c++ src/Makefile
could help as well.

> ddress@hidden ~/c/raw2id $ cat src/Ma
> kefile.am
> bin_PROGRAMS = raw2id
> include_HEADERS = raw2id.h
>
> raw2id_SOURCES = calc.C calc.h raw2id.c raw2id.h fdtd_io/fdtd_io.h
> raw2id_INCLUDES = -I$(top_srcdir)/src/fdtd_io -I/usr/include

Side issues: First, -I/usr/include should not be necessary in general,
though I can imagine it to be necessary in weird systems installations
but then I'd put it in CPPFLAGS during configure, like this:
  configure CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include

Second, I believe the primary _INCLUDES does not exist, use _CPPFLAGS
instead (and add AM_PROG_CC_C_O to configure.ac), or better set
AM_CPPFLAGS if this may be used for all sources specified in this
Makefile.