Re: automake configure script hangs on OSF1...

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: automake configure script hangs on OSF1...
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 06:21:34 -0600

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Ed,
>
> * Ed Hartnett wrote on Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 12:57:26AM CEST:
>>
>> I am trying to install automake and an OSF1 system. I just installed
>> autoconf, but the automake configure hangs looking for it...
> *snip*
>> checking whether autoconf is installed... yes
>> checking whether autoconf works...
>>
>> And there it sits, until I kill it.
>
> Try to debug it: Edit `configure', search for the string
>   whether autoconf works
> and add
>   set -x

checking whether autoconf is installed... yes
+ echo configure:2262: checking whether autoconf works
+ 1>& 5
+ echo checking whether autoconf works... \c
+ 1>& 6
checking whether autoconf works... + test  = set
+ mkdir conftest
+ echo AC_INIT
+ 1> conftest/conftest.ac
+ echo configure:2269: cd conftest && eval autoconf -o /dev/null
conftest.ac
+ 1>& 5
+ 1>& 5 2>& 5

> before it (and maybe `set +x' some way down) to find out which command
> hangs.  I'd suspect the
>   eval $am_AUTOCONF -o /dev/null conftest.ac

Yep, that's where it hangs.

> but wouldn't have any idea why it should hang.  If this is correct, you
> could try to execute this line manually: create conftest.ac consisting
> of a line with `AC_INIT', execute autoconf as above with `/bin/sh -x' to
> see where it hangs.  Post whatever you find.

Sorry, not quite following you here...

> Maybe autom4te finds a non-GNU m4?  Which autoconf version, by the
> way?

I did install a recent gnu m4, so it's not that. (Good idea though).

Here's the autoconf version:
% autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

Thanks,

Ed
--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden