Re: strange warnings from aclocal...

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: strange warnings from aclocal...
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:44:56 +0200

Hi Ed,

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 04:34:27PM CEST:

> I am getting warnings from aclocal about a bunch of macros being
> underquoted. But these are not my macros! They seem to be part of
> aclocal.

> /usr/share/aclocal/g-wrap.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of
> AC_GWRAP_CHECK_GUILE
>   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
>   or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal

They are part of third-party packages that provide macros; I would
guess, they are part of guile, and some banking software like gnucash.
If you have package management on your system, it can help to find out
which package they belong to (e.g.: `rpm -qf $file', or `dpkg -L $file').

> Is there a way to get rid of this so that I can see any "real"
> warnings? (That is, warnings related to the mistakes I'm making in my
> configuration files.)

Yes.  Each occurrence of
  AC_DEFUN(MACRO_NAME,
  [some
  code])

should be replaced by
  AC_DEFUN([MACRO_NAME],
  [some
  code])

It would be nice if you could report the change to the respective
package authors (or distribution people), if they haven't fixed this in
their latest respective version yet; pointing to above link may be
helpful.

> The versions of my packages are also listed below. I think I have the
> latest version of everything...

> bash-3.00$ aclocal --version
> aclocal (GNU automake) 1.9.5

You're fine.  automake is at 1.9.6 already, but that's irrelevant for
this question.