AM_FCFLAGS not working as I expect...

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: AM_FCFLAGS not working as I expect...
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:18:40 -0700

Howdy all!

What am I missing here? I define the following in my Makefile.am:

# Point the fortran compiler to current directory.
AM_FFLAGS = -I$(srcdir)

But no matter what I do, that -I. never appears when the compile
happens:

 f95 -g -O2 -ff2c -c typeSizes.f90  -fPIC -o .libs/typeSizes.o

Yet I have successfully set the -ff2c flag in configure.ac, but only
by modifying FCFLAGS directly.

Is AM_FCFLAGS not supposed to be used on the compile line along with
FCFLAGS? I understood that to be the case from this in the automake
manual:

"This section attempts to answer all the above questions.  We will
mostly discuss `CPPFLAGS' in our examples, but actually the answer
holds for all the compile flags used in Automake: `CCASFLAGS',
`CFLAGS', `CPPFLAGS', `CXXFLAGS', `FCFLAGS', `FFLAGS', `GCJFLAGS',
`LDFLAGS', `LFLAGS', `OBJCFLAGS', `RFLAGS', and `YFLAGS'."

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Ed

--