Re: autotools support for msvc

From: Harald Dunkel
Subject: Re: autotools support for msvc
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:00:58 +0100

Hi Peter,

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> You may search the archives of the libtool-patches mailing list for the
> dozens of mails Peter Ekberg has written to support all of this nicely,
> including static and shared libraries, the libtool part of "-c -o"
> support, C++ source file names, flags for link.exe, detection of link.exe,
> optional use of dumplib.exe instead of nm, almost everything
> except for the tidbits that need to be changed in Automake.
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to final testing and applying all
> of his patches.  I can't promise when I'll be able to do that, but I
> certainly would like to see it applied; all I definitely want to avoid
> is any regressions for other systems (non-MSVC w32, or non-w32).  Nobody
> else has stepped in either to do it.  Free time is limited.

Is there some kind of "mega-patch" available to apply this
more easily? I am sure that a lot of valuable time has been
spent into the support for msvc and link.exe in libtool. But
looking through the "dozens of mails" to pick up patches
doesn't sound very motivating to me, either.

It would be nice if we could push this forward.

Many thanx

Harri