shared library from smaller pieces

From: Vlad Skvortsov
Subject: shared library from smaller pieces
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 23:01:45 -0800

[please cc: me, I'm not on the list]

I use automake/libtool environment for a project with couple of dozens of libraries. I link those libraries statically into the binaries that are then distributed. It works ok.

What I need now is to create a shared library that would contain a subset of those smaller libraries. Say, I want to pack the contents of, and into libbig, and libbig has to be shared (it will be distributed in binary form).

When I use something like this:

libbig_la_LIBADD = .../ .../ .../

I end up with the shared library that contains _references_ to _shared_ libraries aaa, bbb and ccc. But I just want their contents to be packed inside.

How can I achieve that?

I've been trying this with automake 1.6.3 and libtool 1.5 on Mac OS X. I need it to work on FreeBSD as well.

May be I'm missing something?

Vlad Skvortsov, address@hidden, address@hidden