Re: release and test targets

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: Re: release and test targets
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:35:37 +0100

Hello Ralf,

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 09:22:12AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> You are miss interpreting automake's tasks. Packaging is not of
> automake's business.
>
> Your approach isn't much more but a short-cut to your personal and local
> practice and setup. It is wrong and therefore inapplicable almost
> anywhere else.
>
> I.e. makefiles are not the appropriate place to implement this. Writing
> a local shell script or encapsulating this into the config files of the
> packaging system you are using (e.g. rpm.specs) would be the appropriate
> approach.

Hmm, the OP asked how to do that with make targets. While I personally
do it with a shell script and Debian packaging tools, I don't see any
principal difference between putting an extra rule into the makefile vs.
shell script (although the latter does have its advantages). But thanks
for the culture bit.

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.