Copying a file after each subdirectory build

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Copying a file after each subdirectory build
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:56:30 +1100

Hi,
I have lots of libraries and programs in separate directories, each
with its own configure.ac and Makefile.am.

What can i put into Makefile.am so that after each library is built,
it will copy its header file and object file to another directory in
the project tree?

I want all the library headers in a header directory and library objects
in an objects directory, in the same layout that they will be installed
on the host system. I also want the rest of the programs in the project
to be linked to them during the project "make".