Re: problem with flex scanner && `make dist'

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: problem with flex scanner && `make dist'
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 08:23:59 +0100

>>> "tf" == tom fogal <address@hidden> writes:

 tf> Been a while since I've followed any autotools list; sorry if I've
 tf> missed the answer to this issue...

 tf> I have a project with a flex scanner that must be compiled with a C++
 tf> compiler (just for linking purposes; I'm not using the C++ flex
 tf> interface).  It seems the way to do this is to name it `file.ll'
 tf> instead of `file.l', in which case automake automatically picks up on
 tf> this and thinks of it as C++ source.

 tf> Unfortunately this seems to cause problems when I make dist.
 tf> Specifically:

 tf> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `input/scan.ll', needed by
 tf> `distdir'.  Stop.

[...]

 tf> I hope this is enough information to figure out what I've done wrong.

Not for me.  However I doubt the extension of the file has
anything to do with this problem.  Does input/scan.ll exist in
the directory this particular make is running?  (You didn't say
where you ran make dist; is it in a VPATH build?)

 tf> ##### /src/parse/Inc.am #####
 tf> AM_CXXFLAGS+=-DYY_NO_UNPUT -UYY_MAIN
 tf> AM_YFLAGS=-d -t -v -r itemset
 tf> BUILT_SOURCES += grammar.h scan.cc

 tf> libAll_a_SOURCES += \
 tf> $(srcdir)/parse/grammar.ypp \
 tf> $(srcdir)/parse/scan.ll

You could use *.lpp or *.yy for consistency.

 tf> noinst_PROGRAMS=lexdbg parser

 tf> lexdbg_SOURCES = \
 tf> $(srcdir)/input/scan.ll \
 tf> $(srcdir)/util.cpp

 tf> parser_SOURCES = \
 tf> $(srcdir)/input/grammar.ypp \
 tf> $(srcdir)/input/scan.ll

Those $(srcdir)/ prefixes everywhere seem pointless to me, I'd remove them.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz

Shared books are happy books.     http://www.bookcrossing.com/friend/gadl