Re: Copying a file after each subdirectory build

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Copying a file after each subdirectory build
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 08:46:11 +0100

>>> "RS" == Russell Shaw <address@hidden> writes:

 RS> Hi,
 RS> I have lots of libraries and programs in separate directories, each
 RS> with its own configure.ac and Makefile.am.

 RS> What can i put into Makefile.am so that after each library is built,
 RS> it will copy its header file and object file to another directory in
 RS> the project tree?

Nothing, sorry.

 RS> I want all the library headers in a header directory and library objects
 RS> in an objects directory, in the same layout that they will be installed
 RS> on the host system. I also want the rest of the programs in the project
 RS> to be linked to them during the project "make".

If your source tree doesn't already shadow the installed layout
(and with sub-packages I doubt it can), there is not much you
can do about it: I think you'd better live with it and fetch
headers and libraries from where they lie.  Besides libtool
libraries (assuming that's what you build) are not something I'd
ever want to move in a build tree.

Or maybe each of you subpackage could supply a script run by the
top-level configure to build symlinks, but that doesn't really
sound sane to me.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz

Shared books are happy books.     http://www.bookcrossing.com/friend/gadl