Re: Invoking Build.PL/Makefile.PL from automake?

From: Tyler MacDonald
Subject: Re: Invoking Build.PL/Makefile.PL from automake?
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:24:38 -0700

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> wrote:
> This is a problem since MakeMaker makes no provision for using
> uninstalled libraries.  The only way it works reliably is if the
> libraries are installed.  Regardless, I have found ways to use
> uninstalled libraries if the Perl extension is built as static
> (stand-alone executable).  There is an annoying issue is that when
> Makefile.PL is 'executed' to create Makefile, the libraries are
> scanned for at that time.

        Libtool puts a valid .so somewhere for me already, so this is what
I'm doing for that right now:

Net-BitTorrent-LibBTT/Makefile: Net-BitTorrent-LibBTT/Makefile.PL
        cd Net-BitTorrent-LibBTT && $(PERL) Makefile.PL \
        CCFLAGS="-I../.. $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS)"
LDFLAGS=-L$(top_srcdir)/src/libbtt/.libs

        It seems to work fine...

> >     Awesome, I'll check that out. :-)
> Don't expect it to be pretty.  Everything is implemented using
> Automake hooks.  For a shared build, the extension is not built until
> 'make install' time since the module extension will fail if the
> libraries are not already install.

        Well, once I've checked it out and got my package building perl
stuff properly w/automake, I'll definately let you know what I've come up
with.

                - Tyler